Wednesday 28 February 2007

What makes a MotorQueer Brand? part 3

Finally, the end of this tirade - the gist of which is that Being, Loving and Being Loved by MotorQueers makes a MotorQueer Brand. In the first post I discussed Being MotorQueer, in the second I discussed Loving MotorQueers (figuratively, that is) and in this post I will talk about Being Loved by MotorQueers.

This last criterion is pretty straightforward - a MotorQueer brand is a brand that is loved by MotorQueers. Interestingly, many brands that meet the second criterion meet the third. Studies have shown that all other things being equal, gays and lesbians prefer brands that advertise in gay and lesbian media and even better that provide support to queer community organizations.

Consider the tidbits in my previous post and the fact that 13% of respondents of the 2006 Gay/Lesbian Consumer Online Study own a Ford vehicle, while 11% own a Toyota (PDF here).

The final question remains, what does it all mean? To be considered MotorQueer, does a brand have to meet all three criteria? Frankly, there are no facts here, only ideas. I propose that a brand that meets two of the criteria should be considered a MotorQueer brand. What do you think? I think that i am MotorQueer and if i love something it's because it appeals to me on some level and thus it Loves and is Loved by MotorQueer...

No comments: