Sunday 4 March 2007

Celebrity MotorQueer: Bryan Thompson

Celebrity may be somewhat relative, but coverage in newspapers across the world, magazines including GQ, Wallpaper and Architectural Digest, and television networks including Fox, ABC and MTV, an ongoing design blog on BravoTV.com and the occasional feature on Gaywheels.com probably constitute a good start.

Bryan is an automotoive and freelance designer. He is most renowned for developing a relationship between Nissan and Airstream that lead to the creation of the BaseCamp Trailer, manufactured by Airstream. Thompson created production and concept car designs for Nissan, including the Armada interior and the Actic interior and Airstream Trailer Concept revealed at the 2004 Detroit International Auto Show.

Bryan is a man after my own heart. Not only has he done freelance design work for a coffee house (check out his website), but his blog exhibits the requisite amount of hipster attitude:

Japanese cars from the 70s and 80s are the best. They are horrendously ugly, gorgeous and cool at the same time...... There's something strangely sexy about a chrome bumper, all that metal and glass and not a single air bag. The radios and steering wheels are works of art. I lust after them. The day a neighbor I didn't know rolled up in a 1978 Subaru was the day I became a stalker. I walked my dog Lou two blocks out of our way to see it. I took photos of it in the middle of the night and I searched until I found one just like it.

If you've been reading my posts you'll know how much i appreciate kitsch and Japanese imagery. And i love coffee! Thanks Bryan.

No comments: