Thursday 11 January 2007

Welcome to MotorQueer

Standing on Toronto’s Yonge Street I wait impatiently in the hot sun with thousands of other people to see my first Pride Parade. I hear a distant, growing rumble. The crowd’s attention turns north. I can soon distinguish a number of growling motors approaching. As they move closer I begin to hear the crowd cheering their arrival. A prickle of excitement runs through me as I catch my first glimpse - Dykes on Bikes

They ride independent, in couples, in families. They break gender stereotypes. They lead the charge. They are the first wave in our battle against homophobia and discrimination. Their bikes are powerful and loud. So are the Dykes. They are strong and are here to protect and defend us.

While my description may be over the top (I am gay after all), there is no denying that Dykes on Bikes are important icons of LGBT culture in general and Motor Culture in particular. I've started (with) this blog as a place to discuss and explore the idea of LGBT or Queer Motor Culture. I'm looking for other people to provide or find appropriate content. In particular I'd love someone to design a proper look for this site. Leave a comment or email me john@motorqueer.com.

No comments: